This shirt was a first for me- the first time I have ever completed a pattern a second time. I used BurdaStyle’s Hawaiian Shirt pattern in a European size 48. The first time around, I worried that it would dwarf my tall-and-skinny manfriend, the intended recipient, based off of his measurements alone. I had never sewn for a man before, but I learned that they are generally used to a good deal more ease in garments than us gal-folk who’ve grown used to showing off our curves. Both the original Dinosaur Shirt (pictures to come!) and the above Space Shirt are made of standard quilting cotton.
The pattern sewed up with no problems, even though it was my first experience with collars. A point of frustration was Burda’s infamous lack of included seam allowance. It’s a print-at-home pattern. Let me waste my toner on some seam allowances, please! The only other comment on the pattern is that the collar stand/ collar attachment described in the instructions is kind of mental and produces inferior results to this method from Sew, Mama, Sew. I would love to try this in a much more lightweight printed cotton or linen. However, silly novelty prints speak to both myself and my manfriend, and quilters certainly have a monopoly on those. Silly apparel prints, especially in knits, tend toward the infantile.